Horrific Death as Man in India Sucked into MRI Machine

Rajesh Maru   | Photo Credit: Facebook

Mumbai: In a shocking case of medical negligence, a 32-year-old man was sucked into an MRI machine and killed after he entered the room holding an oxygen cylinder at a hospital in Mumbai.

The victim, Rajesh Maru, was holding the cylinder for an elderly relative who was admitted to Nair Hospital and was helping her to get a scan when the machine’s massive magnetic force sucked him in, fatally injuring him.




Despite staff desperately trying to pull him out, his hand and the cylinder got stuck inside, which then caused a massive oxygen leak.

“We told him that metallic things aren’t allowed inside an MRI room” – Relative.

When they did manage to get him out, his body was completely swollen and pouring with blood from the horrific injuries he sustained.




He was pronounced dead 10 minutes after being rushed to intensive care.

Mr Maru’s devastated family has accused the hospital of negligence, saying the machine was meant to be switched off when he walked in the room.

MRI machines, which produce detailed images of inside the human body, are basically massive magnets.

Anyone wearing anything metal, such as necklaces, zippers or even people with metal implants, are normally told not to enter an MRI studio.

A family member of Mr Maru, Harish Solanki, said: “When we told him that metallic things aren’t allowed inside an MRI room, he said ‘[it’s fine, we do it every day]’.

“He also said that the machine was switched off. The doctor, as well as the technician, didn’t say anything.”



No metal objects are usually allowed inside an MRI room at hospitals. While the family has blamed the hospital for negligence, hospital authorities have reportedly suspended a ward boy involved in the case.

The incident occurred at 8:30 pm on Saturday evening, when the family was waiting for a doctor outside the MRI room. The victim’s kin alleged that a ward boy asked Maru to enter room with the oxygen cylinder. When the family questioned if he could step inside the room with a metal object, the ward boy is said to have dismissed their doubts by saying,  “Sab chalta hai, hamara roz ka kaam hai’ (it’s fine, we do it every day).”

 

2 thoughts on “Horrific Death as Man in India Sucked into MRI Machine

  1. Ibrahim JM Reply

    MRI machine weather is on or off the magnet is there indefinitely 24/7
    To switch off the Magnet process called quenching is dam expensive and it takes several hours by exhausting helium gas out of the machine, by carefully measures otherwise it might also leads to fatal outcome

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *